Friday, March 21, 2008

The Million Dollar Fingers

Thanks to Dee Dee I am a crazy zombie eyed monster!! Okay, so the zombie eyed monster part isn't her fault, but the crazy...well, is partially her. See, she's the one who got me hooked. Hooked on typing tests.

I have a somewhat compulsive personality by nature, and I am quite the perfectionist, so the typing test was designed to hook someone just like me. "All you have to do" is type the words on the screen for 60 seconds while they keep track of how many words you type correctly. That tells you your net score, which is how fast you type (minus errors).

The problem is this: once you see your typing score you will not be able to stop! You will want to beat your "score". You will want to prove that you can do more! And it makes you believe that this test is the way to do it. The typing test can make you stronger....faster....it HAS the technology! If you just keep typing you know that you can become a typing super star.

Because there is so much fame, recognition, and money in being the fastest typer.

I admit, I was a little disappointed in myself. I got 95 wpm which I know is good on the surface but seeing how I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION that makes that score basically pathetic. I am so out of practice-so used to my leisurely blogging and purusing of myspace that I lack the discipline to pull down the same numbers I used to. Not that a stay at home mom really has any reason to type faster than that. Seriously, what practical application would that have in my life? None.

Except to brag to my husband that I can type circles around him. And even that's not very fun considering the fact that he hen pecks with two fingers most of the time. I guess I could rub it in Monkey's face....once he's allowed to use the computer....but that's no good either. Making fun of little kids=not cool.

I guess I can say that I'm doing it for the personal satisfaction, but that would be a lie. The cold hard truth is that I'll do it because I'm a woman obsessed with being the fastest typist in the west.



95 words

Speedtest



4 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Count me impressed!

I got a score of 64 and am elated. Granted my training has been all the papers I had to type in school, presentations and tests I created for my students when I was teaching and now...blogging.

I'll admit it definitely sucked me in for over 10 minutes and then I decided I had to take a break - but not before I saved the site to my favorites. Pathetic I know.

MrsM said...

Oh not pathetic. The site is addictive!!

Anonymous said...

You're funny. I'm impressed, I think the last time I ever took a typing test I could type 66 wpm. I'm off to try now and like become addicted as well.

MrsM said...

Glad I could spread my addiction around :)