Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What's in a Name?

My name is Mrs. M. Unlike my given name which was presumably chosen at random by my parents for no particular reason besides the fact that neither of them hated it, my last name is something I chose. Something that has both been earned by my honesty and loyalty and gifted to me out of love. My name is very precious to me-it reminds me that no matter where I go I am always a part of my husband. That he is my family (with the kidlets of course)-we share a home, a life, our hearts, and our destiny. My last name is a commitment-that he will be with me always and that I will follow him all of my days. It is a daily reminder of my love for my husband, and of my new and wonderful life with him. We've been together for more than seven years now and I still get excited when a telemarketer calls me Mrs. M. I even love signing my name-it just suits me, just as perfectly as Hubby suits me.

I love my name and everything it means, and I will never trade it.

......If you want to participate in Writer's Workshop, go over and check out Mama Kat's blog.....

6 comments:

j said...

very sweet.

Pam said...

This is so beautifully written and expressed. I've never really thought about having "chosen" my married name, but I suppose that is just what I did. I love you sentiments about this "choice". Thought provoking and sentimental. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I loved changing my name as well. I didn't lose my identity, I gained an entire new part of me, why not celebrate!?
:)

Melissa aka Equidae said...

how wonderful

Unknown said...

I echo all of the above comments. I enjoyed reading this very sweet and devoted post.c

Anonymous said...

Love this. In a day when so many woman don't change their name this is very uplifting. I had some troubles changing mine because I had been raised by my father that my name (his name) was important, we lived our life to be proud of our name and it was a big deal. Still I felt it was just as important for me to take hubby's name for all the reasons you wrote so I went from Miss. M to Mrs. C and I can say I think Mrs. C suits me! Thanks again for this post - I loved it!