Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What Am I, Dirt?

As I discussed in my previous post about birthdays, I am about to turn 25 [in 39 days!]. I am under no illusions-I know that I am still very young...so why does everyone around me insist on making me feel so outdated?!

Example Number One
I was getting my hair permed (yes it's adorable, and yes I will post pictures soon-ish). While sitting in the chair subjecting my hair to the tortures of beauty the radio in the parlor was bumping some adult contemporary hits of the "80s, 90s, and today". After a flood of Sting, Culture Club, and Shania Twain a song came on...and it was Ace of Base! The Sign-you know the one. So I get all excited, right? I ask the hair dresser what station we were listening to and she tells me, saying then"why do you ask?"

To which I responded, "Because it's Ace of Base! This was the first tape I ever owned! I haven't heard this on the radio in probably 15 years." And do you know what she said?

...Who is Ace of Base?...

Seriously. Turns out when I was bouncing around to my favorite Ace of Base tape, funky dark house techno pop blasting from my Walkman, my hair dresser was 3.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. That doesn't make me feel ancient at all. [Sarcasm] At least it wasn't as bad as...

Scenario Number Two
I was at the counter in the grocery store this past Sunday, chatting with a new check out girl. Somehow we ended up telling me that when she was little people used to tell her she looked like Hillary Duff. Of course, that should have been a sign. I should have known she was a baby and just let it go. But no-of course I have to say "The only people I've ever been compared to are Daria Morgandorfer and Lisa Loeb...but of course I'm not a cartoon and I haven't looked like Lisa Loeb for about 100lbs." The girl behind the counter stares at me blankly for a moment and then said,

"Who is Daria Morganhoffer?"

Arg.

Then she says, "And what about that other lady...Lisa something. What did she do?"

ARG!

Since I'm not getting 100 years older every birthday I have come to the conclusion that it's not me, it's them. I'm not really getting that much older, it's just all the people working in stores these days are getting younger. A LOT younger.

2 comments:

Melissa aka Equidae said...

that is sooo true and really when we get a concert here of MTV in Summer and hear the names of the artists i am like who is that lol i dont really listen to the radio i just put my 4 fav cds and that is it!

Heather said...

Ha, you youngling you. I turned 36 a last month. :) (I loved Lisa Loeb--I was in college! And my husband owned that Ace of Base tape when we were dating (I hated it-- I was into the Violent Femmes and Sound Garden and when the mood hit Psychedelic Furs). :) I didn't know who Daria Morgandorfer was till I looked it up, but then I HATED Beavis and Butthead.

On the other hand I love getting older (though not birthdays-- I can give or take birthdays.) Each year I move forward and get to leave behind all the cruft and junk I hated about myself before. I like changing and getting better and closer to what God has planned for me.