Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Holy Shrinking Mama, Batman!

I went to the doctor today to start the gallbladder process, and everything went well. They decided they wanted to do a CAT scan to look at the stones, but before they could schedule it they had to give me a pregnancy test. It's "routine". But you know what?

I was still nervous.

Seriously. There was no reason for me to be nervous-we're EXTREMELY careful-but for some reason the thought of having a 4 year old, a 5 week old, and finding out I am pregnant again was flashing before my eyes. I may have vomited in my mouth a little. It's all good though-we're NOT pregnant (phew) and we can go ahead and get this gallbladder removal party started.

That totally isn't the best part though!! What can be better than fixing a rediculously painful medical malady?

HOW ABOUT LOSING 53 POUNDS?!

Oh yes I did.

To explain this fully we have to go waaaay back to when I had our son. My prepregnancy weight was 149lbs. Not great, but still within the 'healthy' range for my hieght (barely). During my pregnancy I gained 23lbs and delivered at 171lbs. Again, respectable by any standards (especially mine). At my 6 week post partum check up I had lost the baby weight and then some weighing in at 135lbs. Totally awesome. Not complaining.

Then I went on depo.

For those of you who have never been on depo DON'T DO IT! No one warned me about the possible side effects. You know like having 6 month long periods (which I got) then having no period for 4 months (which also happened to me). Or how about gaining almost 100lbs in less than a month? Yep. Me. Up to 224lbs. And no one warned me. I didn't even think it was possible!! Depo completely messed my hormones up. I couldn't lose the weight and we also couldn't get pregnant once we started trying--no matter what I did!

I went off Depo in March 2005 and needless to say by 2007 people started to think that "depo weight" was code for "I'm a fatty". Then we found out the last week of May 2007 that my hormone levels were finally back to normal. A week later I was pregnant. And I was totally freaked that I was going to end up 300lbs by the end of my pregnancy.

I shouldn't have worried though. I delivered Baby Bug at 198lbs-down 28lbs from prepregnancy!-partially due to gallstones/morning sickness and partially due to finally being able to loose that depo weight.

But would I continue to loose weight, or was that all I would get?

Today at the doctor's office they weighed me. 5 weeks and 5 days after delivering our daughter I weigh 171lbs! For the first time in longer than I care to remember! That makes my total weightloss from pre-pregnancy a whopping 53 lbs! I am so excited!!!!

I am slightly less excited when I realize that I was 171lbs when I delivered Monkey at 43 weeks pregnant...it makes it seem like I still have a long way to go....but I'm take huge leaps in the right direction and-for now-that's enough for me.

Well, that and getting these darn gallstones out!



6 comments:

Suzie said...

Arghhh its all so fustrating weight gain and babies and illness. I think worrying and carrying a baby should make you just loose weight automaticly. So should lack of sleep then we'd really be the skinny ones.

MrsM said...

If life were fair, that's how it would work! Motherhood makes you more beautiful on the inside...why not on the outside? :)

Anonymous said...

What a rollercoaster, huh? I wish it wasn't such a pain on our bodies to have babies.

But way to go with what you have lost! That's awesome.

MrsM said...

Thanks! I'm pretty stoked to be a size 10 again!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the weight loss! And, not being pregnant - smiles!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Good for you. Weight gain, hormones, illness, etc. can so mess up a body. I'm glad that you are feeling better and pretty soon will be much better.