Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Why I Rock [The Story Of My Gallbladder Removal]

I still don't know a ton about what happened during surgery except for that I FLIPPED OUT at the first appearance of the consent form. It was so bad they had to call Hubby in from the waiting room to calm me down so I could sign it.

The anesthesiologist didn't even bother explaining what she was going to do. She saw me laying there shaking and bawling and was like "I'm gonna go ahead and give you something to calm you down. Don't worry, I'll explain it all to your husband."

My hero.

I do remember them strapping my wrists down in the OR vaguely, but only for a split second. Don't worry, it's not cause I'm crazy (although appearantly I was screaming "I REVOKE MY CONSENT!!!" as they wheeled me into the OR) it's what they always do to make sure that your anesthesia drip thingy bobber doesn't pop out of your arm which could make you all of a sudden wake up while they're dicing on you.

Hubby said the procedure lasted about 2 hours. I just remember all of a sudden becoming conscious and demanding to see him. They told me that I had to wait until I could open my eyes under my own willpower (*fascists*) so I opened one eye and told the nurse she better go out and get my husband before she made me open my other eye. Then I'd really be mad.

So Hubby came back into the post op with me and the nurse came and explained everything to him. I don't remember a single word she said. Except that she said I wouldn't remember a single thing she said. (Hey, she was right.)

The doctor appearantly also talked to Hubby directly after the surgery and filled him in on the details. My love, not being one for details, doesn't really remember anything specific except that the doc told him my gallbladder was TWICE the size of a normal gallbladder and had in fact folded over on itself because it was so huge. That's the only interesting tidbit he seemed to remember. And while that certainly explains the MASSIVE bruising that has now produced around the incision they pulled the gallbladder out of, I think I'm going to need to get more details from the doc himself when I go in for a post-op appointment on the 30th.

I'll fill you in then.

What do I get out of this? Besides the fact that I can now eat again (woo-hoo!) I am also reaffirmed in my super awesome status. Not because of my behavior before the surgery (that makes me look like a total wimp) but because since the codine they gave me in Post Op at 1pm the only med I have taken is an extra strength tylenol. It's been 12 hours since I had abdominal surgery and I am pain-med free! (Certainly not pain free...although post-op still hurts WAAAY less than a gallbladder attack).

I defy you to find anyone more hardcore than me. Such a person cannot be found.


Erin said...

So happy to hear that it's over and now you can recover and get back to normal life : ) That's crazy that your gallbladder was so huge! No wonder you were having so many problems.

Suzie said...

Hey good for you! Give em hell and feel better

Wifey said...

Too funny! Too bad hubby didn't have a video camera with him - smiles!

Glad to hear that you are OK!

Anonymous said...

You are a gall bladder badass to be sure.