Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Baby

Right this minute six years ago I became a mom for the first time. I knew from the moment I saw him that he was extraordinary, and every single day since he has proved to me that I didn't even know the meaning of the word.

He was the best baby ever. He never screamed, and he slept through the night-the first time was when he was two weeks old, and since he was two months old he has slept 12 hours a night without fail every night. He is the best snuggle baby in the world and at six years old still spends time every day cuddling with Mommy. Just today he crawled in my lap and leaned back, his head coming up to my shoulders and his feet touching the top of mine.

He just needed a good snuggle he said.

He is the most kind hearted child I've ever known. When I was pregnant with each of the girls, even though he was only three the first time and four the second, he followed me around and told me he was going to take care of me. He picked things up for me, wrapped blankets over me when I sat down, and told me stories and gave me kisses before I laid down for my naps. He always asks me how I'm feeling-and then listens. My six year old listens to me talk about how my day is going. He is good to his sisters too-he never picks on them and is always careful around them. He gives them hugs and kisses, and cheers them on while they learn new things and explore. He gives them his drawings and reads them stories and does all of the things that wonderful big brothers do.

My son is the most creative child I have ever met. His drawings are amazing-he draws with perspective and the beginning of shadow and makes beautiful color choices...so much that I can't even get angry when he colors on the walls. He is imaginative too-one day he's a zebra, the next day he's a scuba diver swimming around the entire world under water. He tells the most amazing, funny little stories about all sorts of things-the man in the moon, lost puppies, and good little boys and girls who get to eat a LOT of candy (that's an on going theme).

I am so proud of how much he loves to learn-he has been pulling things apart and putting them back together to see how they work since he was a toddler. He can find about a dozen countries on the map, he knows every major bone in the human body by it's scientific name, and he can now speak several dozen words and about a dozen phrases in Mandarin...and he learned them all by his own initiative. His thirst for knowledge is unquenchable and that is one of the things I admire the most about him.

I am proud to be the mommy of the most compassionate, artistic, driven, and charming little boy I have ever known. He is the best son a mommy could ever hope for and I thank God every day for the blessing I have in him.

To my sweet little bear-Happy 6th birthday. You will always be my baby, no matter how big you get.

4 comments:

Kirsty said...

Happy birthday to your sweet, amazing little boy! And happy mommy anniversary to you!!!

Vodka Logic said...

Happy Birthday. He sounds like a wonderful boy. [lets hope he stays that way :) ]

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain said...

Happy Birthday to your amazing little boy!

Bossy Betty said...

Ahhh. This one stole my heart, I love being the mom of boys. Happy Birthday to both of you!