Friday, April 23, 2010

Sew Lovely

Way back in the day, a million (or 10) years ago, I had a gorgeous antique sewing machine. It was a black and gold singer inside of a dark wood sewing cabinet, and it was the loveliest piece of furniture I have ever owned. Sure it had a few scratches, and was "well loved" but I think that was what I especially loved about it. That, and it was a gift from my best friend in junior high. I loved sitting down with my machine and making a little project here and there (in the days before Google **GASP** I couldn't just look up patterns online) and I planned to keep it forever. Unfortunately, due to the chaotic nature of my teen years I wasn't able to hold onto it.

So this year for mother's day I have decided I am going to try to find just the right vintage/antique sewing machine to bring home with me. It is quite the adventure. There are some machines out that that are $400+ and are unbelievably gorgeous to look at. I, of course, am on a much smaller budget so I am going out today to a few yard sales that advertised on Craigslist as having some older machines. One of them is even a 1890 treadle machine (foot operated). I think treadle machines are lovely-even if I have no idea how to use them! I could always learn, right? That specific one they posted as $50, but since it's at a garage sale I'm going to try to walk away with it for $35.

That is, of course, if it's still there when I get there...

I would really love to find one that is beautiful, useful, and kid friendly-after that it would just be all Googling to find fun projects for the kids to make! I can't wait to find the perfect machine.

Do any of you sew? What machine do you have and why do you like it?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have my mom's Signature (the one I learned to sew on). I have bought many old machines, usually for $6 ot $7 at yard sales but this is still the best one I have ever used. Used to have a vintage black and gold singer (the type with the little box) and sold it for $250 ages ago. In fact http://cgi.ebay.com/MONTGOMERY-WARD-SIGNATURE-UHT-J-278-A-1-3-AMP-MOTOR-/320514882396?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item4aa02cfb5c is almost exactly mine, except mine has a solid wood base so I think mine is a little older.